Apple Crumble Nachos. Crispy baked thinly sliced apples topped with a crumble of oats, walnuts, raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon. A pretty fall dessert that’s really fun to eat.
As the annual fall tradition goes, we went apple picking over the weekend, with the little guy in tow, and stocked up on honeycrisp, macoun and macintosh apples. Lucca helped us along, grabbing the high fruit. All while sleeping.
The best way to eat the local fall apples is straight up, but we still have fun each year trying out a few apple recipes – mainly apple crumbles (apple pie’s crust requires too much patience and time for my liking) and free form apple tarts with warm peanut butter drizzle using premade crust. And this year, Apple Crumble Nachos.
This is a really fun and easy fall dessert. You slow bake the apple slices topped with apple pie spice in a low oven (250 degrees) until they are just crisp, about 2 hours, depending on the thickness of your slices. Then top with a traditional crumble topping of oats, walnuts, raisins, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon and bake the chips with the topping for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven until the crumble is warm and crunchy.
Serve as is, or, topped with vanilla ice cream. Or serve with a yogurt for dipping (bet it would be good with siggi’s yogurt).
- • 2 apples, thinly sliced horizontally, seeds / stem removed (we used honeycrisp and macoun)
- • ½ tsp apple pie spice
- • ¼ cup oats
- • ¼ cup walnuts
- • ¼ cup raisins
- • 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- • ½ Tbsp cinnamon
- • 2 Tbsp salted butter, softened
- • Vanilla ice cream or yogurt for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Wash and very thinly slice apples horizontally with a mandolin or sharp knife. Remove any seeds in slices. Place slices on two baking sheets, with plenty of room between the slices. Sprinkle with apple pie spice. Bake for about 2 hours, or until slices are crisp and dry, but not overly dried out. Flip the chips halfway through baking time. Baking time will vary depending on thickness of slices. Remove apple chips from oven and let cool. Up the oven temp to 350 degrees. Combine oats, walnuts, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and salted butter. Sprinkle overtop the apple slices. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve as is, or top with vanilla ice cream or serve with yogurt for dipping. Enjoy with your fingers or a fork!