Cheddar Portabella Burgers with Charred Red Onion.
Barbecue sauce slathered grilled portabella mushrooms topped with thick slices of cheddar, crunchy barbeque quinoa chips, charred red onions and ranch dressing on a fresh bakery bun. This is no ordinary “veggie” burger.
Thank you Simply 7 Snacks for sponsoring this Cheddar Portabella Burgers with Charred Red Onion post and thanks to you, my readers, for supporting the brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible. As always, all opinions are my own.
When you were a kid, did you layer chips into your sandwiches? We did! Every summer when I was young, my parents rented a house either on Cape Cod or Nantucket for two weeks. And every day, my mom packed my sisters and me the best sandwiches to bring to the beach – PB&J, vinegary tuna salad (very light on the mayo – you guys know I am not a mayo fan) with chopped carrots and celery, veggiewiches (sprouts, cukes, lettuce, etc) with cheddar all on hearty multigrain bread. What made the sandwiches even better and more fun to eat? Chips (usually potato chips) stuffed into those sandwiches for an irresistible crunch. Now, I hadn’t done that for years … until this year, when we headed out on the boat with our picnic of turkey pastrami + cheddar sandwiches, watermelon and Simply7 Barbeque Quinoa Chips. Into the sandwiches went the chips and what a combo it was! I forgot what I had been missing for so many years. So, the idea was born to pair one of our favorite dinner sandwiches – the portabella burger with these great smoky and sweet barbeque quinoa chips.
Enter these Cheddar Portabella Burgers with Charred Red Onion.
Side note about the Simply7 Barbeque Quinoa Chips … they are so good and so addictive. It’s easy to eat the entire bag yourself, which I have done before. But, there are only 3 servings in the bag … perfect for this family of 4 (only 3 of us are eating :)! ). So, grab a bag and share with your fam. They’re great dipped in hummus.
We love portabella burgers in our house and eat them at least once a week. Adrian and I both prefer them to regular burgers (mainly for taste, but also health reasons). Real burgers always smell SO good on the grill, but usually after the first couple bites I’ve had enough of my burger fix for a few weeks. Plus, I hate the weighted down feeling I get after having a burger. But I can’t get enough of meaty portabella burgers that are packed with flavor, without the heaviness. Plus portabella mushrooms are rich in B vitamins, which provide energy and support our metabolism, and Vitamin D (if they’ve been exposed to UV light) which supports strong bones. And they’re low in calories and carbohydrates.
Lucca loves portabellas too. He’s become really picky with green vegetables and seems to not like the texture of broccoli and zucchini, but mushrooms seem to be on his “like” list for now. He just learned how to say “bug” and does this funny thing now where he points out all the bugs he sees (or thinks he sees) in and outdoors. Many green veggies and green herbs he calls “buuuugs” now, so needless to say, we’re working on liking green veggies and herbs and learning that they are not bugs.
These savory portabella burgers are marinated in a vinaigrette (any you have on hand will work well) then grilled and basted with barbeque sauce during the last few minutes of cooking. The mushrooms are then topped with cheddar, Simply7 Barbeque Quinoa Chips, charred red onion and ranch dressing (or additional barbeque sauce), all atop your favorite bun.
Fire up the grill and make these Cheddar Portabella Burgers with Charred Red Onion for lunch or make with dinner alongside a nice summer salad and watermelon slices. Serve them with extra Simply7 Barbeque Quinoa Chips.
Here’s how to make these Cheddar Portabella Burgers with Charred Red Onion:
- • 4 medium portabella mushrooms, cleaned and stem trimmed
- • 1 medium red onion, sliced into 4 thick slices
- • ½ cup Italian vinaigrette
- • ¼ cup bbq sauce
- • 4 thick slices cheddar (we prefer Cabot)
- • 1 cup Simply7 Barbeque Quinoa Chips, plus more for serving
- • ¼ cup ranch dressing (or additional barbeque sauce)
- • 4 hamburger buns (white or whole wheat)
- Place mushrooms and onions in a plastic resealable bag with the vinaigrette. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and oil the grates. Place mushrooms (stem side up) and onions on the grill. Grill for 8-10 minutes then flip mushrooms and onions. Grill onions another 1-2 minutes then remove from grill. Brush bbq sauce overtop the mushrooms and grill another 8-10 minutes until tender (time will depend on thickness of your portabellas). Remove from grill.
- Place each mushroom on a bottom bun. Top mushrooms with cheddar, chips and red onion slices. Drizzle with ranch dressing then cap with top bun. Serve with Simply7 Barbeque Quinoa Chips.
- Recipe note: you can grill the portabellas and red onions the day before you assemble the burgers. Just reheat briefly on the stovetop or in the oven.
PIN and save the recipe for later:
Simply7 is committed to making wholesome snacks that taste really good. They stand by their 7 Simple Standards:
No Added Preservatives
N0 Grams Trans Fat
No Artificial Colors or Flavors
Check out their recently redesigned website, full of great recipes, usage tips and interactive nutrition information about their products.
Find Simply 7 Snacks at one of these retailers near you: Kroger, Wegmans, Whole Foods, Shaw’s, Fresh Market, Giant, Wakefern, and Walmart to name a few. You can also use their store locator.