Crispy Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Everything Bagel Cheddar. A whole head of cauliflower roasted simply with extra virgin olive oil salt and pepper. Then topped with Cabot Everything Bagel Cheddar and panko bread crumbs.
This is a showstopper of a side dish and is soooo simple to prep and make. You just have to be patient while it roasts – because you’re roasting a whole head of cauliflower, it takes longer than roasting florets. But the wait is well worth it.
Cauliflower and melted cheese is such the perfect healthy comfort food combo. My mom used to make cauliflower with ooeey goeey melted cheddar – and it remains to be one of my favorite side dishes. Nowadays, cauliflower is also a favorite vegetable of the big AND little man of the house, so we eat it often. Very often. Most of the time, we simply toss the florets in olive oil, salt and pepper. But occasionally we do something great to it, like make this Crispy Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Everything Bagel Cheddar.
Have you tried Cabot Everything Bagel Cheddar? You should. The folks at Cabot basically press the topping of an everything bagel onto their famous cheddar … making for a completely addictive and delicious cheddar that you’ll want to eat by the chunk or shred and put a top pretty much anything. Actually, bet it would be amazing atop a burger or portabella burger.
The Everything Bagel Cheddar is perfect atop this head of cauliflower because it adds a ton of flavor and incredible cheesiness.
Note to the chef of the house: some of the cheddar and panko crumbs end up in the skillet and crisp up … make sure you spoon that goodness out and eat (or, if you’re feeling very generous, share) it, as that’s the prized part of the dish.
Before roasting this cauliflower, I made 6-8 slits slits completely across it, but without cutting completely through it (you don’t want the cauliflower to fall apart). This allowed for the olive oil to drip into the slits to season the center of the cauliflower and allowed it to cook more quickly and get more tender in its core.
Here’s how to make this Crispy Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Everything Bagel Cheddar:
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 oz Cabot Everything Bagel Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Parsley (optional for topping)
- Preheat oven to 425 with cast iron skillet inside.
- After washing and trimming cauliflower, cut 6-8 deep lengthwise slices in it, keeping the cauliflower whole and intact.
- Drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil and rub into cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cauliflower whole, stem side down, in cast iron skillet and place into the oven.
- Roast for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with remaining oil, trying to get oil into the slits.
- Roast an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with cheese. Place back into oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove again and top with bread crumbs. Roast an additional 5 minutes then remove from oven. Slice cauliflower all the way through. Top with parsley, if desired.
Note: Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the cauliflower; adjust accordingly.
Nutrition highlights: cauliflower packs a powerful punch of cancer-fighting compounds, Vitamin C, folate and many other vits & minerals, so it’s a great vegetable to add to your diet on a regular basis.
Disclosure: this is not a sponsored post. Cabot just happens to be one of my favorite brands and we buy Cabot products (cheese, butter and yogurt) on a regular basis. I am, however, a part of Cabot’s Cheeseboard and receive samples of their products on a quarterly basis.