Disclosure: I serve on the health professional board for the California Walnut Commission. This post is part of California Walnut’s Recipe ReDux contest, however, I am not eligible to win prizes associated with this contest. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this post.
Dark Chocolate and Walnut Drenched Strawberries and Cream Popsicles. Because walnuts, dark chocolate and strawberries are the perfect pairing. We love each of them separately, but they’re even better when they’re paired together.
These creamy, sweet, decadent frozen pops have just 4 ingredients (dark chocolate, walnuts, strawberries and vanilla siggi’s yogurt) and are the perfect frozen treat for your lazy, hazy summer days.The California Walnut Commission challenged us Recipe ReDuxers to play matchmaker with walnuts and pair them up with other whole foods to create nutritious, satisfying and tasty dishes. Since summer is unofficially here and the ice cream man is already making his rounds, I knew it was time for a frozen treat that is indulgent, satisfying, yet 100% good-for-you. Enter these Dark Chocolate and Walnut Drenched Strawberries and Cream Popsicles.
You can feel good about these popsicles because they contain antioxidant rich dark chocolate, vitamin C rich strawberries, calcium and protein rich yogurt and heart smart California Walnuts.
We love adding walnuts to snacks, meals and dessert because they bump up the filling factor, are versatile and add a richness to any food or meal. An ounce of walnuts has 2.5 grams of plant-based omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) – far more than any other nut. Plus walnuts have 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber to keep you feeling full.
Walnuts pair really nicely with fruit (think summer berries or our favorite trail mix with dried cranberries, salted sunflower seeds and walnuts), whole grains (we especially like them with oats), beans/lentils, fish (like walnut crusted salmon or cod), veggies and herbs (like walnut arugula pesto). Walnut pairings are endless, but you can be sure they’ll amp up the delish and health factor of any dish.
These Dark Chocolate and Walnut Drenched Strawberries and Cream Popsicles are delicious with just yogurt and strawberries. But they’re taken to decadent dessert status when they’re drenched in dark chocolate and coated with crushed walnuts.
And they’re really simple to make. Just blend the strawberries and siggi’s in a blender or Magic Bullet and pour into popsicle molds. We use the Zoku 4 pack molds. Then freeze for 8 hours, remove from freezer and dip into melted dark chocolate and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
The sweet little strawberries used for these pops were handpicked from our local farm, Coonamessett Farm in East Falmouth. They are so juicy and sweet – perfect for these popsicles.
Here’s how to make these Dark Chocolate and Walnut Drenched Strawberries and Cream Popsicles:
- • 1 cup organic small strawberries (about 12), washed and stemmed
- • 2 4.4 oz organic whole milk vanilla yogurt (we used siggi’s)
- • 1 7oz container dark chocolate candy shell melting chocolate
- • 1 container ½ cup crushed California Walnuts
- Add strawberries and yogurt into a blender and pulse into smooth.
- Pour into molds and freeze 8 hours, or overnight.
- Heat chocolate according to directions.
- Remove popsicles from freezer and dip one at a time into chocolate (halfway or all the way). Sprinkle immediately (before chocolate dries on each) with crushed walnuts.
- Let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- *Note – you won’t need the full container of melting chocolate. If you have extra strawberries or walnuts, dip them into the remaining candy shell.
Check out how my Recipe ReDux friend love their walnuts: