Loaded Tofu Tacos. For your Taco Tuesdays. And, if you’re feeling a little loco, for Cinco de Mayo.Tofu is a staple in our house and a regular item on our weekly shopping list. We eat a lot of it and have been eating even more of it recently, as we’ve been eating less red meat and chicken. The problem is, we make the same tofu dishes over and over as the weeks go by. Our typical tofu dinner is pan fried firm/extra firm tofu with peanut sauce … which is SO good (mainly because of the homemade peanut sauce). And, on occasion, we’ll use it in chilis or soups. For breakfast, we love using silken tofu in scrambles, as an egg substitute, scrambled with greens and topped with cheddar and lots of freshly ground black pepper. We happened upon this tofu scramble a few years back when we ran out of eggs to scramble for breakfast, so tried soft tofu. We loved it and have been making it ever since when we’re in the mood for something other than eggs for a weekend breakfast.
In an effort to branch out and try tofu in different ways, we’ve been celebrating Taco Tuesdays with these Loaded Tofu Tacos. And these tacos are realllllly good.
The taco-seasoned protein-packed tofu is topped with ALL the can’t-go-wrong flavorful toppings like creamy avocado, sharp cheddar, protein and fiber rich black beans and cilantro. Plus red cabbage for flavor, crunch, color and nutrition. All served with juicy limes, salsa and creamy Greek yogurt. YUM.
Don’t skip serving the limes with these tacos. They add freshness, brightness and tons of zest to these tacos.
Give these Loaded Tofu Tacos a shot for your next Taco Tuesday – or Cinco de Mayo, with a margarita on the side. Cheers.
- • Drizzle of olive or vegetable oil (for the pan)
- • 1 block (15 oz) extra firm organic tofu
- • ½ 1.25oz packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- • ¼ red cabbage, sliced thinly
- • 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- • 1 avocado, cut into small chunks
- • 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- • 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- • 1 package yellow corn taco shells (12 shells)
- • 1 lime, cut into wedges
- • Salsa
- Slice tofu into ½ inch cubes. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add tofu and sauté for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned, flipping pieces every few minutes. Add taco seasoning, stir and sauté for another minute. Remove from heat. Assemble tacos: add tofu, red cabbage, beans, avocado, cheddar and cilantro. Serve with lime slices, salsa and plain Greek yogurt, if desired.