Can anything make a better holiday dessert than peanut butter and chocolate? Nope. As much as I love fruit crumbles and pies a la mode, there’s nothing more celebratory than chocolate. And really nothing better than the pb + chocolate combo; it wins every time.
This elegant Peanut Butter Mousse with Dark Chocolate Ganache is surprisingly simple to make. You whip up the fluffy mousse in minutes with a handheld mixer by combining heavy whipping cream, Greek yogurt, peanut butter and vanilla paste. Then, you gently heat heavy whipping cream on the stovetop until steamy, then add in finely chopped dark chocolate and cocoa powder to make the ganache (this is actually the same ganache we use to make our famous chocolate truffles). Layer the ganache and the mousse and top with a dark chocolate peanut butter cup. That’s it. A teeny bit of work for one of the best desserts you’ll have this holiday season.
The best thing about this dessert (other than its decadence), is it’s ready in less than 15 minutes. It’s perfect for your smaller, more intimate family gatherings where cookies, fudge, cake and pies don’t seem quite fancy and special enough. You could make it for a crowd – but for that sort of gathering, I (and you, probably too) find it’s much easier to have the desserts made ahead of time. You could make these a day ahead and keep them covered in the fridge, but they’ll be best made and savored right away.
Full disclosure: this is not a light dessert, though it does contain good-for-you ingredients like protein and monounsaturated (healthy) fat rich peanut butter, protein rich Greek yogurt and antioxidant rich dark chocolate. It also contains heavy whipping cream, and quite a bit of it, which makes this a dessert to savor by the small spoonful.
This is a rich, indulgent, creamy, chocolaty, peanut buttery dessert that uses the best high quality dessert ingredients: the highest quality organic dark chocolate you can find, organic whipping cream and yogurt and organic creamy peanut butter.
The vanilla paste and organic baking cocoa come from my friends at my favorite baking company Rodelle. They have, in my opinion, the best baking essentials. Their vanilla paste is added to every baked good I make. They also make spice blends, including a really nice sesame and dill seafood rub that we had on salmon the other night. They recently sent me a few products to try (along with refilling my stock of vanilla paste … this was one happy girl!). Many of their products you can find at your local grocer, or order through their online store. (This post was not sponsored by Rodelle; it just happens to be a brand that I love. )
Here’s how to make it:
- For the peanut butter mousse:
- - 1 cup organic heavy whipping cream
- - ¼ cup organic creamy natural peanut butter, salted
- - ½ cup organic vanilla whole milk Greek yogurt
- - 1 Tbsp Rodelle vanilla paste
- For the dark chocolate ganache:
- - ½ lb high quality organic dark chocolate (at least 50-60% cacao), chopped finely
- - ½ cup organic heavy whipping cream
- - 1 Tbsp Rodelle organic cocoa powder
- For the topping:
- - 6 mini organic dark chocolate peanut butter cups (we used Justin's)
- In a chilled large metal mixing bowl, whip together heavy whipping cream, peanut butter, Greek yogurt and vanilla paste with a hand mixer on medium speed until fluffy and light pillowy peaks form. Refrigerate mousse. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat heavy whipping cream over medium-low heat until just steaming – NOT boiling, stirring constantly. Remove cream from heat and slowly stir in chopped chocolate and cocoa powder. Whisk until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Line up parfait glasses or stemless wine glasses. Drizzle chocolate mixture on the bottom of glasses. Layer each glass equally with peanut butter mousse then top with more chocolate mixture. Top each parfait with a chopped dark chocolate peanut butter cup. Serve immediately.
- If you have extra ganache, store in a covered bowl in the fridge and use for drizzling on vanilla ice cream.