Seared Scallop Cobb Salad.
Lightly seared scallops sit atop a bed of crisp iceberg lettuce, along with creamy avocado, pungent blue cheese, crunchy walnuts, crispy bacon, fresh garden tomatoes, earthy beets and sweet red onion. This is a seafood lovers cobb.
We are seafood lovers. Are you?
Most of you already know we love scallops in our house. In fact, they may just be our favorite seafood. And we get great local scallops here on the Cape. You can’t beat ’em. Grilled, seared, fried, raw (have you ever had scallop sashimi? SO good!), you name it. But, they’re pricey. At 19.99/lb, scallops aren’t a splurge we’re buying on the regular. When we do buy them, every month or so, we’ll buy just 1/2 lb and have them along with a small piece of fish. The scallops themselves aren’t enough to satisfy us, but with the fish, veggies and brown rice they are. Or, we’ll serve them atop this salad.
The scallops are the star here, but there are all sorts of other goodies to satisfy even the largest of appetites. Not only is this salad flavor packed, it’s also rich in healthy fats (heart smart omega 3’s from the walnuts and monounsaturated fat from avocados) and protein (from the scallops and walnuts), so it’ll stave off hunger for hours.
We used iceberg lettuce for this cobb, but feel free to sub out your favorite salad green. I love the crispness of iceberg in a cobb salad, so prefer it over less crisp darker greens. Plus, despite popular believe, iceberg does have some nutritional value to along with its crunch – it’s rich in Vitamin K and provides a small amout of Vitamin C and A.
Here’s how to make this Seared Scallop Cobb Salad:
- • ½ small head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- • 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- • 2 Tbsp blue cheese crumbles
- • 2 Tbsp walnuts, chopped
- • 2 Tbsp red onion, finely diced
- • 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- • 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- • 2 beets thinly sliced (Love Beets, roasted or pickled)
- • 1 tsp olive oil
- • ½ lb sea scallops
- • Lemon wedges (optional)
- • Dressing of choice (we used balsamic vinaigrette)
- Divide salad ingredients (lettuce, avocado, blue cheese, walnuts, red onion, bacon, tomatoes and beets), evenly among 2 plates.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until glistening. Swirl oil in the pan and add the scallops.
- Sear for 1-2 minutes on each side until a nice golden crust forms, or until desired doneness. Remove from heat and place atop salads.
- Serve with desired dressing and lemon wedges.