Seared Scallop Tostadas. A small plate that celebrates fresh, local sea scallops.
Day boat sea scallops are one of our favorite splurges. They’re delicate, buttery and clean with just a hint of the sea. We get them at our local fish market, The Clam Man, and usually season them with only salt and pepper and sear them just briefly. We prefer to make them at home, because restaurants usually overcook them – which is easy to do.
Recently though, we had lunch al fresco style, at one of our favorite restaurants in Falmouth, Anejo Mexian Bistro. I had an amazing scallop tostada topped with bacon, guacamole, salsa, cojita cheese and more. The sea scallops were fried and they were oh so good. This tostada is a spin off of Anejo’s, but it’s a lighter version, with lots of fresh, flavorful toppings. Plus it’s light, rich in protein and packed with colorful veggies.
To make these Seared Scallop Tostadas, a crispy baked corn tortilla is topped with mashed black beans, arugula, red cabbage, avocado, queso fresco (a firm-textured fresh white cheese – slightly salty, mild and tangy), scallions, cilantro and seared scallops. Mmmhhhmm. They’re really good.
Showing off these pretty, elegant and fresh Seared Scallop Tostadas comes at just the right time. This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is: Small Plates For Sunny Days: Small bites are perfect for trying many different tastes. Take tapas style eating outside for al fresco dining or a simple picnic. Or maybe you’re serving small bites at a bridal or baby shower or a graduation party. Show us your healthy take on small plates and finger foods.
These tostadas are perfect as an appetizer for a dinner party or a tapas style get together.
Here’s how to make these Seared Scallop Tostadas:
- • 5 small corn tortillas
- • 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- • 1 clove garlic, minced
- • 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- • 2 cups arugula
- • 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- • 1 avocado, diced
- • 2 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- • ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- • ½ lb sea scallops
- • 1 lime, cut into wedges
- • Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place corn tortillas on a baking sheet and toast for 12-14 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown, flipping after 7 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mash black beans, garlic and 1 Tbsp olive oil together. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Heat bean mash for 2-3 minutes until warm. Set beans aside.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 1 tsp olive oil over medium high heat until glistening. Swirl oil in the pan and add scallops. Sear for 1-2 minutes on each side until a nice golden crust forms, or until desired doneness. Remove from heat.
- Assemble tostadas by spooning black bean mixture into the center, adding arugula, red cabbage, scallions, avocado, queso fresco and cilantro. Top with sea scallops.
- Serve tostadas with lime wedges.
For more great small plates, visit my Recipe ReDux friends: