Thank you Simply 7 Snacks for sponsoring this post and thanks to all my readers for supporting the brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible. As always, all opinions are my own.
Sunday is the Big Game. Is your menu ready?! If not, I’ve got just the appetizer for you.
The Ultimate Garden Chili Nachos. These nachos will be the hit of the party. After all, for many of us, the food and company can be more entertaining than the game itself. Especially if your team isn’t in the Big Game (…looking at you Pats).
With so many heavy fried, creamy and cheesy apps being served at Big Game parties, it’s refreshing to have something a bit lighter, fresher and (shhhhh) healthier. And, in my opinion, tastier. Pizza, chicken wings and ten layer dips sometimes need to take a seat on the sidelines.
The base of these nachos is Simply 7 Sea Salt Lentil Chips. The chips are topped with chili-seasoned lentils and cheddar then another layer of chips, lentils and cheddar. Then the whole mound is topped with the vibrant (and healthy) flavors of classic salsa, creamy avocado, zingy red onion, garlicky scallions, peppery radishes and fragrant cilantro. These crisp veggies and fresh herbs add freshness and lightness to the nachos. But these eye-catching nachos are not just for the girls. The chili-seasoned lentils give the nachos a meaty and hearty goodness that any hungry man would love. Man tested (by my husband and father-in-law) and dietitian approved (me).
Have you tried Simply 7 chips? If not, go out and grab a bag. Or four.
For a limited time, download this coupon to save on any Simply 7 Snack chip. They come in 4 varieties and all are gluten free and non-GMO: Lentil, Hummus, Quinoa and Kale and there are many flavors within each of those varieties. Kale is the newest variety for Simply 7 and is a hearty, ridged chip. The Dill Pickle Kale flavor is oh so good if you’re a pickle and vinegar lover, which I am. They go really well with garlic hummus.
For these nachos, we used the Simply 7 Sea Salt Lentil Chips because they are a bit more neutral than other varieties and flavors, but still allow the natural flavor of the lentil shine through.
These chips pair nicely with the flavorful and fresh nacho toppings. Feel free to test out other flavors – especially the Jalapeno Lentil Chips for a bit more of a kick.
Here’s how to make these game-changing nachos:
- For the lentils:
- ½ cup red or brown lentils
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- For the nachos:
- Cooked lentils
- 1 bag Simply 7 Lentil Sea Salt Chips
- 1 ½ cups shredded white cheddar cheese, divided in half
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, sliced
- Directions: Place lentils, water and chili powder in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until the lentils are tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet or on a baking sheet, place half the bag of Simply 7 Lentil Chips and cover evenly with half of the cooked lentils and half of the shredded cheddar. Top with remaining chips, lentils and cheddar. Place in the oven for 5-8 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and top nachos with salsa, avocado, red onion, scallions, radishes and cilantro. Serve immediately with Greek yogurt and lime slices.
This recipe is vegetarian and gluten free.
More about Simply 7:
When you want a better-for-you snack, you can feel good about Simply 7, as they are committed to making wholesome snacks that taste really good. We need to enjoy our snacks and those snacks should also work hard for our body. Simply 7 stands by their 7 Core Standards:
- Clean Ingredients – pure ingredients, not highly processed
- No Added Preservatives
- No Trans Fat
- No Artificial Colors or Flavors – especially important to me these days, as we’re trying to eliminate these completely from our diet
- Gluten Free – important when we have my in-laws visiting as my mother-in-law has celiac disease
- Simple Ingredients – we need to know what each ingredient is on the nutrition label
- Simply Delicious – yes, yes they are
Find Simply 7 Snacks at one of these retailers near you: Kroger, target, Wegmans, Whole Foods, Shaws, Fresh Market, Giant, Wakefern, and Walmart to name a few. You can also use their store locator.