Banana Blueberry Muffins.
These simple, tender and just perfectly sweet muffins are packed with wild blueberries and smashed banana and are made with good-for-you ingredients like almond flour, whole wheat flour and ground flax seed. They make a great on-the-go breakfast or snack, especially spread with your favorite nut butter.
We are blueberry muffin crazy around these parts. Well, Lucca is and so am I. Adrian could take them or leave them. He’d much rather have a bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwich or anything else savory. Lexi isn’t old enough yet to understand how good blueberry muffins can be and why Lucca and I are crazy about them.
Usually once a week, we go to one of our local bakeries to get blueberry muffins. Or, if I need an afternoon Starbucks coffee fix but Lucca doesn’t want to leave the house and I don’t feel like making a pot at home … I bribe him to come with a blueberry muffin reward. Mamma needs her coffee.
We also make blueberry muffins once or twice a month, sometimes once a week. I have tried a zillion recipes, but have never found a recipe that I loved, that I also could feel good about giving to the kiddos.
So … Lucca and I got to work and tested and tested this Banana Blueberry Muffins recipe until it was just right. Lucca is no longer taking an afternoon nap (he used to sleep for 3 hours at naptime!) so this gave us an fun mid-day activity to do over the past couple weeks, while Lexi took her afternoon nap. Gosh I miss those quiet afternoons when both the kids are sleeping, but I’m getting some 1:1 time with Lucca, which I haven’t had since before Lexi was born.
These muffins have very little added sugar (and in fact, you could omit the 2 tablespoons the recipe calls for, if you prefer) and have more fiber and more protein (thanks to the almond and whole wheat flours, the flax, the wild blues and the bananas), so I feel good about feeding them to the kiddos for breakfast, with a nice smear of peanut butter. Or, for me, toasted with salted butter.
These muffins are amazing hot out of the oven or cooled – or toasted the next day. They also freeze well. Whatever we don’t eat after the first day, I freeze so we can quickly thaw them when we want a muffin for or with breakfast.
Here’s how to make these Banana Blueberry Muffins:
Banana Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnut milk (or any milk - dairy or non-dairy) room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted then cooled, slightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten room temperature
- 3 medium ripe bananas, smashed
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries (such as Wyman's)
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, whole wheat flour, flax, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together walnut milk, butter, vanilla and beaten egg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Add banana and wild blueberries and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling each tin about 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake muffins for 22-27 minutes or until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
PIN this recipe for later: