Black Lentils with Garlicky Roasted Tomatoes and Burrata.
Baby arugula topped with black beluga lentils, slow roasted garlicky tomatoes, fresh burrata and basil. This is one of the simplest dishes to make, and it will easily become one of your favorite ways to eat those late summer tomatoes.
If you’re swimming in summer tomatoes (lucky you!), you’ve gotta make this. Our tomatoes took awhile to come in, but they’re finally ripening like crazy. Lucca has been eating pints and pints off the vine and Lex has been picking some not to eat, but to carry around in her little hands, squishing some and leaving others whole as pets. She calls them “mannas.”
For this simple dish, you slow roast the tomatoes with garlic, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar for about an hour. Then pour the tomatoes and all its juices overtop arugula and black lentils (Lex and Lucca call the lentils “baby black beans”) then top with burrata (cream filled mozzarella) and sprinkle with slivered basil. We topped ours with another drizzle of balsamic and a sprinkle of sea salt. Then, serve it with toasted baguette slices, because you’ll want to be sure to soak up all those amazing roasted tomato juices. If you can’t find burrata, regular mozzarella or those small mozzarella balls will work well.
The black lentils require no soaking and they cook in about 20 minutes, so they are a great no-fuss plant-powered protein that pairs nicely with these roasted tomatoes. They are sturdier and hold their shape and texture more than red and green lentils, so for this dish, go with black lentils if you can get them.
This is a vegetarian meal, but my meat-lovin’ hubby loves this meal. It’s packed with fiber, protein, healthy fats and TONS of flavor. It’s all about using the best and freshest ingredients you can get your hands on.
Here’s how to make this amazing end-of-summer dish — Black Lentils with Garlicky Roasted Tomatoes and Burrata:
Black Lentils with Garlicky Roasted Tomatoes and Burrata
For the roasted tomatoes
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 head garlic cloves sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups black (beluga) lentils cooked
- 8 ounces burrata (about 4 2 ounce balls)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, loosely packed slivered
- additional balsamic vinegar
- toasted baguette slices, brushed with extra virgin olive oil
For the roasted tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a medium sized baking dish with cooking spray. Add tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. Stir. Roast for 50-60 minutes until tomatoes are browned and bubbly (not burnt!). Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add 1 cup arugula and 1/2 cup cooked lentils each to 4 bowls. Top bowls equally with roasted tomatoes and garlic (with the juices!), burrata, slivered basil, sprinkle of salt and pepper and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve bowls with toasted baguette slices.