I created this recipe for Drew’s, maker of all-natural salad dressings and marinades, as part of an ongoing partnership with them. I was compensated for the recipe creation, but not for this post and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible!
Cheesy Smashed Potatoes with Chipotle Lime Salsa.
Have you tried smashed potatoes? If not, get to it before the warmer weather arrives! Even if you go with the most simple recipe – little creamer potatoes, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper – make them. Smashed potatoes are a family (and crowd) pleaser. They’re simple and fun to make (you get to smash the potatoes!) and they get the BEST crispy crust on them.
These smashed potatoes are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. They’re topped with creamy Greek yogurt, spicy Drew’s Organic Chipotle Lime Salsa and sharp cheddar cheese for the perfect combination of spicy, smooth, crispy and cheesy. Serve them with baked fish and roasted asparagus for a satisfying spring meal.
To make these smashed potatoes, you boil the potatoes until tender (we used little blushing belle potatoes from the Little Potato Company), lightly smash them with the bottom of a can or jar (our Drew’s jar came in handy for more than just eating :)), drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper then roast for about 20 minutes until crispy.
Then top with your choice of toppings. This time around, we put a dollop of whole milk plain Greek yogurt and a dollop of (spicy!) Organic Drew’s Chipotle Lime Salsa on top – then a sprinkle of sharp cheddar (we use Cabot cheddar). Then into the broiler just until the cheese is melted. That’s it!
Comfort food that tastes good and is good for you.
Nutrition Note: The blushing belle potatoes provide an excellent source of potassium, good source of fiber and good source of Vitamin C for one serving of about 6 little potatoes.
Here’s how to make these Cheesy Smashed Potatoes with Chipotle Lime Salsa:
- • ¾ lb blushing belle creamer potatoes, scrubbed (or small new potatoes)
- • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- • Salt & pepper
- • ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- • ¼ cup Drew’s Organic Chipotle Lime Salsa
- • 2 oz cheddar, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil potatoes for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil or parchment paper. Remove potatoes from pot and carefully pat dry with a dishtowel (careful, potatoes are very hot!). Place potatoes on baking sheet and using the bottom of the Drew’s Salsa jar, press down gently on each potato, flattening it. Drizzle potatoes with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes until they begin to crisp on the outside. Remove from oven and top each potato with a small dollop of Greek yogurt and a small dollop of salsa. Sprinkle with cheddar. Broil 2 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve.