I received free samples of Sabra Spreads mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Crab Cake Sliders. For crab lovers.
These Crab Cake Sliders may just be one of my favorite things we’ve cooked up in our kitchen in awhile. They are packed with sweet lump crab meat that’s been simply tossed with a beaten egg, chives, plain panko bread crumbs and Sabra Garlic Herb Spread (one of three new spreads made with hummus by Sabra). Then the crab cakes are pan fried for 2-3 minutes on each side and served on a toasted slider bun spread with more Sabra Garlic Herb Spread and topped with pea shoots (or any leafy green you have on hand).
My friends at Recipe ReDux and Sabra challenged us Recipe ReDuxers to use any of Sabra’s new “Spreads” products to recreate a sandwich we love or develop a new sandwich creation. Since:
- we love crab cakes and seafood (as you know) and we were overdue to make our own crab cakes
- we love hummus (always have)
- we love garlic and herbs (who doesn’t)
- the temps on the Cape have cooled, so it’s time for hot / toasted sandwiches
So, given all of the above and the thought that crab would pairly really well with the Garlic Herb Spread, these Crab Cake Sliders were born.
These crab cakes are packed with flavor garlic and herb goodness from the Sabra Spread which also has basil, chives and oregano in addition to garlic. The “fillers” in these crab cakes are minimal, so the crab is highlighted. One thing that is always so disappointing when we order crab cakes at a restaurant is that many times they’re packed with fillers – tons of bread crumbs, bread, etc. These crab cakes are different.
Sabra Spreads are the perfect fresh and flavorful complement to your favorite sandwich. They come in 2 other flavors – sea salt + cracked pepper (really good) and honey mustard (I don’t like mustard, so I won’t be trying – but Adrian will). And bonus … they come in a squeeze bottle, so they’re convenient to spread and squeeze as much or as little as you need at a time.
Here’s how to make these Crab Cake Sliders:
- • 1 8 oz can lump wild crab meat, picked over for shell fragments
- • 1 egg, beaten
- • 1 Tbsp dried (or fresh) chives
- • 1/3 cup plain panko crumbs
- • ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- • ¼ cup Sabra Garlic Herb Spread, plus more for serving
- • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (or non-stick cooking spray)
- • 4 slider buns (whole wheat or white), lightly toasted
- • 1 cup pea shoots, loosely packed (or other green)
- • 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Combine crab, egg, chives, panko crumbs, pepper and Sabra Garlic Herb Spread in a medium bowl and mix until well combined.
- Heat oil in a non-stick saute pan over medium high heat.
- Using your hands, form the crab mixture into 4 patties.
- Place patties in skillet and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and fry an additional 2-3 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, toast slider buns.
- Remove crab cakes from heat. Place crab cakes on bottom slider buns and top with pea shoots (or other greens).
- Spread Sabra Garlic Herb Spread on each top bun.
- Add top buns to the crab cakes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Find more great sandwich inspiration from my fellow Recipe ReDuxers: