Thank you Simply 7 Snacks for sponsoring this Crispy Smashed Potato and Cabbage Bake post and thanks to you, my readers, for supporting the brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible. As always, all opinions are my own.
St. Paddy’s Day is juuuust around the corner … what’s on your menu? This Irish girl will be making, of course, boiled corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots plus Irish soda bread served with real Irish butter. I do love this entire hearty Irish dinner once a year, but my favorite parts of the meal are the cabbage and the Irish soda bread. My mom has always made a mean (the BEST) Irish soda bread and rarely do mine ever compare – though last year my loaf came pretty close. I think her secret is extra butter, though she’d never admit that, and a good splash of vanilla (her signature flavor).
Anyhow … cabbage, whether boiled, sautéed, roasted or raw is a favorite veggie of mine. Shocked? You shouldn’t be! Cabbage is packed with flavor and great nutrition … and it doesn’t have to be boring. It’s so versatile and buttery. We’ve been roasting cabbage quite a bit lately, because it’s easy and cooks quickly in the oven. And, all it needs is a simple seasoning of olive oil, salt and pepper. But, you can always get a bit fancier than that too.
In honor of St Paddy’s Day, my friends over at Simply7 and I partnered up to make a comforting, healthy and St. Paddy’s Day worthy recipe that celebrates the green of the cabbage and of their Kale Chips.
So, here we have this Crispy Smashed Potato and Cabbage Bake. We’ll be making this dish often because it’s hearty, comforting, savory and ohhh so tasty. Make it for St. Paddy’s Day or, if you’ve got your traditional menu planned or are going to the local Irish Pub, do as we do, make it as a side dish in the weeks/days leading up to the holiday.
To make this Crispy Smashed Potato and Cabbage Bake, you’ll roast the potatoes, onion and cabbage on baking sheets, then “smash” the potatoes with the bottom of a can (tuna, bean, soup … anything will work). Then you’ll add the veggies to a casserole dish and top them with chicken broth, ricotta and garlic and bake. Then you’ll top with shaved parm and smashed Simply7 Sea Salt Kale Chips and bake a few more minutes.
The Kale Chips add a great crunch and savory and salty kale flavor to the bake. Feel free to serve some extra chips on the side – you may want them. I love that the Kale Chips are hearty – so they can stand up to this dish without falling apart. This means too that they can be dipped into hummus, salsas and Greek yogurt dips and hold their firmness. Plus they have ridges … I love chips with ridges!
You can feel good about this better for you dish because:
- Cabbage is packed with cancer-fighting phytochemicals and provides an excellent source of Vitamin C
- Potatoes provide a good source of potassium and an excellent source of Vitamin C
- Part-skim ricotta provides protein and calcium
- Simply7 Kale Chips provide an excellent source of bone-health supporting Vitamin K
Here’s how to make this Crispy Smashed Potato and Cabbage Bake:
- • 1 small head green cabbage, quartered then cut into chunks (cabbage leaves will begin to separate, which is fine)
- • 1 medium Vidalia onion, cut into chunks
- • 1 lb baby gold potatoes, whole
- • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- • Salt
- • Pepper
- • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- • 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- • ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- • 2 cups Simply 7 Sea Salt Kale Chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with tin-foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place cabbage and onion chunks on 1 baking sheet and drizzle and rub with 1 Tbsp olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes on the other baking sheet, drizzle and rub with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place baking sheets into the oven and roast for 30 minutes, tossing vegetables halfway through cooking time.
- Remove cabbage and onion baking sheet from the oven and let potatoes roast an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and “smash” or flatten them with the bottom of a salsa or tuna can. Place cabbage and onions in a medium casserole dish.
- Top with smashed potatoes. In a mixing bowl, whisk together chicken broth, ricotta and garlic.
- Pour overtop potato and cabbage mixture.
- Place casserole dish into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and top with parmesan cheese and crushed chips.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Serve.
- Recipe note: you can easily make this dish vegetarian by choosing vegetable broth over chicken broth.
Simply7 is committed to making wholesome snacks that taste really good. They stand by their 7 Simple Standards:
- Clean Ingredients
- No Added Preservatives
- 0 Grams Trans Fat
- No Artificial Colors or Flavors
- Gluten Free
- Simple Ingredients
- Simply Delicious
Check out their new redesigned website, full of great recipes, usage tips and interactive nutrition information about their products.
Find Simply 7 Snacks at one of these retailers near you: Kroger, Target, Wegmans, Whole Foods, Shaws, Fresh Market, Giant, Wakefern, and Walmart to name a few. You can also use their store locator.