Crunchy Walnut Crusted Salmon Patties.
Salmon, panko crumbs, Italian seasoning and egg formed into patties and crusted with crushed walnuts and panko crumbs then pan fried until golden brown. Served atop a leafy green salad with sliced avocado and chopped walnuts with a citrus vinaigrette. Hearty, flavorful and nutrient packed.
Thank you to the California Walnut Board and Commission for sponsoring this Crunchy Walnut Crusted Salmon Patties recipe and post. All opinions are my own. And thanks to you, my readers, for supporting organizations and brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible.
This Crunchy Walnut Crusted Salmon Patties recipe is one of my favorites. Why? For many reasons – the first being taste! But also:
- Power packed. These patties are nutrient rich and chock full of heart-smart omega-3 (polyunsaturated) fatty acids and satiating protein from both the salmon and the walnuts. Over the years, research has uncovered many benefits to eating foods with good dietary fats such as polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats found in foods like walnuts, salmon and avocados. Walnuts in particular are a rich source of polyunsaturated fat, including essential ALA omega-3 (2.5 grams/ounce), which are beneficial to include in a healthy diet. Serve the patties atop this salad and you’ll add healthy monounsaturated fats and antioxidants from the avocado and extra virgin olive oil plus vitamins/minerals/antioxidants from the spinach or leafy greens.
- Evergreen. These patties are perfect no matter the season – warm summer or cold winter months.
- Make ahead and freeze. You can make the patties ahead of time in a large batch and freeze them for future meals. With a toddler and a newborn (who is almost 1 month old … already!) in the house now, make-ahead-meal components like this are dinner time sanity savers. All I need to do is take a few patties out of the freezer and reheat in a pan, then serve overtop this simple salad. Oh and by the way, Lucca loved these patties – he loves salmon and walnuts! So, add kid friendly to many highlights of this recipe.
- Serving options. Serve the patties however you want them – overtop a leafy green salad (like this) or atop a toasted whole grain bun with a smear of sour cream or stone ground mustard with avocado, lettuce and tomato – with a lemon wedge on the side. Or serve them in a grain bowl overtop your quinoa/farro/wild rice and your favorite veggies.
- Budget friendly. Have you used canned salmon before? This recipe calls for canned salmon. It’s far more inexpensive than fresh salmon and will keep in your pantry for a long time, so you can always be prepared to whip together a healthy meal. We love fresh salmon, but love always having the convenience of canned salmon for recipes like this and anytime we’re in a pinch for protein and a quick meal. If you have leftover cooked fresh salmon, you could use that instead of canned.
Have you ever encrusted anything in walnuts? Aside from these salmon patties, we’ve also encrusted chicken in walnuts – they add great crunch, flavor and healthy fats. I want to try crusting tofu slabs or sticks in walnuts too – bet that would be tasty and great finger food for kiddos. One of the great things about walnuts, aside from their nutrition profile, is they are so versatile and add a mild, nutty flavor and satisfying crunch to so many dishes.
What’s your favorite way to use walnuts?
Here’s how to make these Crunchy Walnut Crusted Salmon Patties:
- SALMON PATTIES
- • 3 5 ounce cans skinless boneless salmon, drained well
- • 1 ¼ cup plain panko breadcrumbs, divided*
- • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- • 3 eggs
- • ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- • ½ cup California walnuts, finely chopped
- • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- • 1 lemon juice + zest
- • 1 teaspoon honey
- • 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- • 1/8 teaspoon salt
- • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- • 6 cups baby kale and spinach (or mixed greens)
- • 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- • ¼ cup California walnuts, chopped
- • 4 lemon wedges
- SALMON PATTIES: In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine salmon, ¾ cup breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, eggs, parsley, black pepper and garlic powder. Spread remaining breadcrumbs and finely chopped walnuts on a plate. Using a ¼ cup measure, scoop out salmon mixture into your palm and form into patties. Press patties into breadcrumb and walnut mixture to coat on both sides. Repeat with all patties. Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Pan fry salmon patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until lightly browned and crispy. Fry patties in batches, if needed. Place cooked patties on a plate.
- VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and zest, honey, mustard, salt and pepper.
- ASSEMBLY: Divide greens, avocado, walnuts and lemon wedges among 4 salad plates. Top with salmon patties and drizzle with vinaigrette.
*Recipe Note: Instead of plain breadcrumbs plus Italian seasoning, you could use reduced or low sodium seasoned panko crumbs.
Serving note: Instead of a salad, these patties may be served atop a toasted whole grain or whole wheat bun or bread with a smear of sour cream or stone ground mustard with avocado, lettuce and tomato – and a lemon wedge on the side.
PIN this recipe for later: