Dark Chocolate Dipped Popcorn Balls.
Buttery, lightly salted popcorn and melted marshmallows are formed into a ball and dipped generously in melted dark chocolate. A sweet and salty treat that kids and adults will delight in. These Dark Chocolate Dipped Popcorn Balls are the perfect fun-to-eat dessert for baby showers, birthday parties, Mother’s Day or any springtime celebrations.
Thank you Simply 7 Snacks for sponsoring this Dark Chocolate Dipped Popcorn Balls post and thanks to you, my readers, for supporting the brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible. As always, all opinions are my own.
Note: these popcorn balls (and popcorn) are not for children under the age of 4, as popcorn poses a choking hazard.
When was the last time you had a popcorn ball? For me, I think it’s been 20 years. At least. I forgot how much I love that sweet and savory combination of salty popcorn and sweet marshmallows. And when they’re dipped in antioxidant rich dark chocolate, those popcorn balls are even better … though I don’t remember ever having a chocolate dipped version. Until now.
If you come by our house on any given evening after 8pm, you’ll most likely find us (me) eating dessert. I have a never-ending sweet tooth and have some sort of dessert every night. I especially like sweet and salty combos – salted caramel, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate covered peanuts, etc. Adrian inherited my sweet tooth (by marriage J). He loves his salty snacks, but ever since we started dating I’ve gotten him hooked on sweets (for better or worse …). Most nights he has a few squares of dark chocolate. But at least once a week, we make a homemade sweet treat – brownies, cookies, etc. and he enjoys those treats just as much as his sweet-lovin’ wife.
I love popcorn as an everyday snack because it’s a fiber-rich whole grain (so it’s going to work harder for you and help satiate and satisfy hunger) – and, it’s lower in calories than most snacks (after all, it’s mostly air!). For a more substantial snack, I often pair a handful of popcorn with a handful of salted nuts, so you’re getting both fiber, healthy fats and plant-powered protein. And sometimes I throw some dark chocolate chips in there too, if I’m craving some sweetness.
When I first tried the new Simply7 with Giada Popcorn (butter flavor), I knew it would pair perfectly as a snack or for dessert with dark chocolate. Even better when dipped in dark chocolate. I love this new popcorn because it’s made with simple ingredients – and nothing artificial. It has real organic butter in it. Now that’s a snack I can get behind.
These Dark Chocolate Dipped Popcorn Balls are really easy to make – you only need 4 ingredients: butter, mini marshmallows, dark chocolate melting wafers and Simply7 with Giada Popcorn (butter flavor). You’ll melt the butter and marshmallows on the stovetop. When melted, you’ll pour the mixture over the popcorn, mix the combine, then form the popcorn into balls.
Then you’ll melt the dark chocolate and dip (or double dip!) the balls into the chocolate. Let the balls set for about 20 minutes, then serve ‘em up. They’re perfect for any springtime celebration.
Here’s how to make these Dark Chocolate Dipped Popcorn Balls:
Dark Chocolate Dipped Popcorn Balls
- 1 Tablespoon butter salted
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Simply7 Popcorn butter flavor
- 10 oz bag dark chocolate melting wafers
- 7 cake pop sticks
- Place popcorn in a large bowl. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the mini marshmallows to the butter. Heat the mixture until the marshmallows are melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Pour marshmallow mixture overtop the popcorn. Mix the popcorn with a spoon (or your hands if the marshmallow mixture is cool enough) until it is distributed throughout the kernels. Spray your hands with cooking spray. Scoop a palm size ball of popcorn into one of your hands. Using both hands, squish the popcorn into a ball. No need to be gentle here, you’ll need to use some muscle to form the popcorn into a rigid ball. Place popcorn ball on wax paper. Repeat with the remaining popcorn.
- Heat the dark chocolate according to directions until it’s smooth and glossy. (I placed into a deep microwave safe bowl and heated in 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals, for a total of 4 intervals.)
- Using a scissors, poke a hole in the top of each popcorn ball. Dip a cake pop stick into the dark chocolate and stick into the hole of a popcorn ball. Repeat with all balls. Dip each ball ½ to ¾ of the way into the dark chocolate, tapping to shake off excess chocolate. Place ball onto wax paper and repeat with all balls. Dip each ball one more time, if desired, for a double layer of dark chocolate. Let set for about 20 minutes, until dark chocolate is set. Serve.
PIN for later:
A bit about the Simply7 with Giada Popcorn:
- Aside from the delicious butter flavor, the popcorn comes in Sea Salt & Olive Oil and Parmesan Cheese – I love the Parmesan Cheese flavor!
- The air-popped popcorn is made with blue and red corn that is naturally non-GMO, whole grain and higher in antioxidant qualities than yellow and white corn.
- There is an initiative and mission behind this popcorn – to empower female farmers and eventually source 100% of the red and blue corn from female farmers in the U.S. and bring awareness to females in all aspects of the agriculture industry. Simply7 and Giada are working with organizations who are truly passionate about females in farming and they are donating to these organizations to fund scholarships, programs and events that help support their missions.
NOTE: The popcorn has just launched, so it’s just beginning to hit shelves in retailers across the country. The Simply7 team is happy to help you find the snacks at retailers near you – reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with your zip code. Or, purchase on Amazon!
About Simply 7:
Simply 7 is committed to making wholesome snacks that taste really good. They stand by their 7 Simple Standards:
- Clean Ingredients
- No Added Preservatives
- 0 Grams Trans Fat
- No Artificial Colors or Flavors
- Gluten Free
- Simple Ingredients
- Simply Delicious
Check out their Simply 7 Snacks, with product information, recipes and usage tips.
Find Simply7 Snacks at one of these retailers near you: Kroger, Target, Wegmans, Whole Foods, Shaw’s, Fresh Market, Giant, Wakefern, and Walmart to name a few. You can also use the store locator on their website.