I created this Fish Tacos recipe for Drew’s, maker of all-natural salad dressings and marinades, as part of an ongoing partnership with them. I was compensated for the recipe creation, but not for this post and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible!
Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Mango Habanero Salsa.
This is the perfect end-of-summer meal. Fresh, flavor-packed and light enough so you still have room for dessert at the local ice cream shoppe! Priorities :).
Fish tacos are one of our favorite dinners. We love that you can switch up the ingredients, based on what you’re in the mood for. And, everyone can build their own tacos, which makes it an easy-to-please, fun dinner.
You can either bake, pan fry or grill the white fish (we grilled the fish here); use corn or flour tortillas – or lettuce wraps (I prefer flour, Adrian likes corn) and use any kind of cabbage or slaw – red, green, etc (we made a cilantro slaw). Then, of course, choose your favorite salsa … it’s a given we’d use of the many yummy Drew’s Salsa – in this case Mango Habanero, which has just the right amount of heat from habanero peppers vs. sweet from the mango. Add your avocado or guac, some sort of onion (red or scallions), Greek yogurt or sour cream – and serve taco bar style.
Because this weekend is the unofficial end to summer (where did it go?????!), make these fish tacos with the freshest fish you can get your hands on, to savor summer just a little bit longer. We’re going to.
Enjoy them al fresco and serve them with ice cold Coronas. Or, in my case, I’ll be drinking a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
Cheers to an endless summers … !
- • 1 lb haddock (or other white fish) filet, skinned
- • ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- • 2 ½ cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- • ½ red onion, diced
- • 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- • 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided into 1 and 2 Tbsp
- • 2 limes (1 halved and used for the cabbage slaw, 1 cut into wedges for serving)
- • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- • ½ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- • 1 cup Drew’s Organic Mango Habanero Salsa
- • 12 small corn or flour tortillas
- • Salt
- • Pepper
- Pat fish dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make slaw by combining cilantro, green cabbage, red onion, the juice of 1 lime, 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss slaw and set aside.
- Preheat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, add fish and reduce heat to medium.
- Pan fry fish for 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on thickness of filet, or until opaque and flaky. Remove fish from heat.
- Let fish cool slightly then flake and place in a bowl.
- Heat tortillas, wrapped in a clean kitchen towel, for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Place tortillas on a plate.
- Assemble tacos by laying tortillas with fish, cilantro slaw, avocado, cheddar cheese and salsa. Serve with plain yogurt, lime wedges and additional salsa.