Grilled Apple Cheddar and Blue Cheese.
Cranberry walnut bread stuffed with sweet farm apple slices, sharp cheddar, tangy blue cheese and red onion slices. All the flavors of fall in a warm, buttery, crisp grilled cheese. This is an adult version of the comforting childhood favorite you still love.
There’s not many things that can top freshly baked bread and cheddar (Cabot cheddar has our heart and tastebuds). Both of these are top on this family’s list of favorite foods. Fall apples are top on that list too. And, apples + cheese are just the perfect pairing, so this Grilled Apple Cheddar and Blue Cheese is extra special. The red onion adds a nice zing and tanginess to the sandwich.
Make this grilled cheese for lunch after a morning in the apple orchards. Or make it for dinner and serve it with a butternut squash soup.
Have you gone apple picking this year yet? We haven’t, but it’s hopefully on this list for this upcoming weekend. Last year, Lucca had fun picking apples, but this year, I think he’ll enjoy it even more because he’s older, more independent and really likes apples … especially when he gets an entire apple to himself (takes him about an hour to eat it). Can’t wait to come home with pounds and pounds of them – mostly to eat, but also to bake and cook with. And to make this grilled cheese with.
The blue cheese slices I used in this Grilled Apple Cheddar and Blue Cheese are Boar’s Head – it’s a marbled blue monterey jack cheese that I found near the deli. If you can’t find them, you could use blue cheese crumbles instead.
Are you a grilled cheese traditionalist or are you willing to branch out and try something new? Hope it’s the latter. And hope you give this grilled cheese a shot! Let me know if you do.
Here’s how to make this Grilled Apple Cheddar and Blue Cheese:
- 8 slices cranberry walnut bread
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter, softened
- 8 slices Cabot sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices blue cheese (we used Boar's Head marbled blue monterey jack cheese)
- 1 apple, thinly sliced (any variety, we used Honeycrisp)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Assemble sandwiches by plaving one slice of bread butter side down. Top with 2 slices cheddar, apple slices, red onion, 2 slices blue cheese and another slice of bread, butter side up. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the sandwiches to the pan and heat for 5 minutes until cheese begins to melt and bread is lightly browned.
- Flip the sandwiches and heat another 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and gooey. Cook the sandwiches in batches, if needed.
- Slice and serve.
PIN for later: