Grilled Shrimp, Corn and Avocado Salad.
A summery salad made almost entirely on the grill. Shrimp, fresh corn, tomato and scallions are grilled then tossed together with chunks of creamy avocado and a citrus vinaigrette and topped with slivers of basil. This salad is delicious served warm (almost straight off the grill) or chilled, then served. If you’re chilling the salad, wait to toss in the shrimp, avocado chunks and basil slivers until ready to serve.
Corn salads are one of the best things about summertime eats. We are always coming up with different versions, depending on the herbs and veggies we have on hand and the seafood (or other protein) that we’re in the mood for. This is the kind of salad that easily serves as a meal (it’s packed with protein, healthy fats and fiber), just pair it with a warm crusty baguette or fresh dinner rolls and butter. We have a local French bakery here in Falmouth that has the most incredible loaves of bread. We love their double baguettes and olive bread, so those are usually our go-tos to go alongside salads like this.
For this salad, we actually put all the main ingredients (except the avocado) onto the grill – the corn, tomatoes, scallions and shrimp. Then you cut the corn off the cob, slice the scallions and toss it all together with chunks of avocado and a simple vinaigrette made of extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, honey and salt and pepper. Fresh slivered basil adds another layer of summertime goodness.
Adrian prefers this Grilled Shrimp, Corn and Avocado Salad with raw tomatoes versus grilled (I like both). So, if you have fresh garden tomatoes or can get some at your local farmer’s market, feel free to halve them and toss them in raw versus grilling them. These tomatoes were organic grape tomatoes from our grocery store and they are ok, but far from the flavorful homegrown ones growing in our garden or at the local farm. Grilling them gives them more flavor and interest. We are far from being ready to pick any tomatoes, so for now store-bought will have to do.
Do the kiddos eat this salad?
Not a shrimp fan?
If you don’t like shrimp, you can easily sub scallops, grilled chicken or grilled steak. Or, skip the “meat” altogether and top it with creamy burrata (incredible with this salad) or mini mozzarella balls.
Here’s how to make this Grilled Shrimp, Corn and Avocado Salad:
Grilled Shrimp, Corn and Avocado Salad
For the salad
- 12 ounces frozen large raw shrimp (31-40 shrimp per pound) thawed and peeled (and deveined, if needed)
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 1 1/2 pints fresh organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves slivered
For the citrus vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lime cut into wedges
For the salad
- Preheat grill to high heat. Clean and oil grates.
- Toss shrimp, corn, tomatoes and scallions with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add shrimp and veggies to the grill. Reduce heat to medium. Grill shrimp for a few minutes on each side, just until opaque and cooked through. Grill corn, tomatoes and scallions, turning every few minutes until lightly charred. Grill time for shrimp, scallions and tomatoes, will be about the same. Corn may need few more minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, slice corn kernels off cob. (To do this, I break off the bottom part of the cob and place the corn flat side down in a large casserole dish, then using a knife, run the knife down the cob to remove the kernels. The casserole dish catches the kernels, so it's easy to transfer the kernels to your salad bowl.)
- Slice scallions.
- In a large salad bowl, add corn, scallions, tomatoes, shrimp and avocado chunks. Drizzle with citrus vinaigrette and toss. Top with slivered basil. Serve with lime wedges.
For the citrus vinaigrette
- Add extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper to a small mason jar. Shake to combine.
PIN this Grilled Shrimp, Corn and Avocado Salad recipe for later: