Disclosure: I created these Huevos Rancheros for Drew’s Organics, maker of organic dressings and salsas as part of an ongoing partnership with them. I was compensated for the recipe creation, but not for this post and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible!
Fried eggs served in warm corn tortillas, topped with spicy and tangy tomatilla salsa, sharp cheddar, black beans, crispy bacon, fresh cilantro and oniony scallions. Serve it this summer with mimosas for a leisurely Sunday brunch. And … while you’re at it, have a mimosa for me too, please. Unless it’s after baby girl Rawn arrives (hopefully on, or around July 23rd), then I’ll be having my own mimosa and these Huevos Rancheros, thank you very much.
Huevos rancheros reminds me of one of my best friends from high school, Emily. We frequented a breakfast/brunch/lunch spot in Cincinnati, called First Watch, and Emily always ordered the same thing: huevos rancheros. We loved going to First Watch on the weekends and some weekdays when we had a free first period. One year in college we ran the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon together and First Watch was our first stop after the race. We were there for hours, drinking coffee, talking about the race, laughing and brunching. It was her first marathon and probably my third or fourth. She didn’t think she could do it, but everyone else knew she could. She surprised herself and completed all 26.2 miles – and was barely limping afterwards. She’s one of the strongest women I’ve ever known.
Ems and I spent a lot of time sharing our favorite meals and food together. Ems loved talking nutrition and exercise and food, and of course, so did I. I love those memories of Ems. Simple moments around the table. Emily passed away last year from a rare liver cancer, so I will always cherish the simple moments we had together. And certain dishes will also remind me of her, like huevos rancheros. So, cheers to you Ems. This one’s for you.
You’ll heat the corn tortillas in a hot pan, fry up your eggs to your liking, then top the tortillas with cheese (we use Cabot), black beans, crumbled bacon, cilantro and scallions.
If you’re growing fresh herbs this summer, use whatever herbs you have on hand, doesn’t need to be cilantro and scallions – chives, parsley, dill – any would be fresh and bright and work perfectly in this dish. And, if you have avocado on hand, add some slices or chunks as well.
The green tomatillo salsa adds a kick to this dish, and the cheddar helps cool things down.
Here’s how to make these Huevos Rancheros:
- • 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- • 8 small corn tortillas
- • ½ cup shredded Cabot sharp cheddar cheese
- • ½ cup Drew’s Organic Tomatillo Verde Salsa
- • ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- • 8 eggs
- • ¼ cup chives, chopped
- • ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- • 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- • Freshly ground pepper
- For serving:
- • Additional Drew’s Organic Tomatillo Verde Salsa
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Swirl to coat pan. Add corn tortillas in pan in batches (number of batches depends on how many tortillas fit in your skillet) and heat about 1 minute on each side until lightly golden, but not crispy. Lay warmed tortillas on a working surface or on serving plates.
- Top each warmed tortilla equally with shredded cheddar, salsa and black beans.
- Heat skillet again over medium heat. Cook eggs to desired doneness in batches. Place eggs atop tortillas.
- Top eggs with chives, cilantro, bacon and freshly ground pepper. Serve.