Lobster Avocado Bites.
Whole grain tortilla scoops stuffed with avocado and lobster chunks tossed with warm butter, chives and lemon. Topped with freshly ground pepper and pea shoots. This is a bite-sized appetizer that your guests will devour in seconds, but dream of for weeks. Make them for any special summertime celebration.
A few weeks ago, we went to a fundraiser at a plant nursery in Falmouth, here on the Cape. Local restaurants were serving up their signature dishes for tasting. They had live music, beer and wine and surprisingly good food. Many of the vendors ran out of food before we made it to their booth (booooo), but we still had our fill of lobster rolls, seared tuna and oysters. And lobster bites. A taqueria was serving up little bites of lobster salad in Tostitos scoops. Brilliant, right? We hung around their booth for probably a bit too long because those bites were addictive. Even Lucca ate 3 or 4 of them, placing the scoop in his palm and shoving the whole thing into his mouth.
When we got home, I was inspired to recreate those lobster bites with a few spins. For these Lobster Avocado Bites I used butter (no mayo), added chives and lemon juice + zest to chopped lobster meat. I stuffed it all into the whole grain scoops with thinly sliced avocado. Then topped them with pea shoots and freshly ground black pepper. The result? Fresh. Addictive. Fourth of July worthy.
You’ve heard me say this before for other lobster recipes. If you have time to steam the lobsters yourself, do it. If not, ask your fish market or grocer to steam and crack the lobsters for you. This will save you time and hassle. If you do that, you’ll only have to pluck the meat out of the lobsters – which will still take about 10 minutes or so.
Serve these Lobster Avocado Bites right after you add the lobster meat to the scoops. If you let them sit, the scoops will get soggy.
Here’s how to make these Lobster Avocado Bites:
Lobster Avocado Bites
- 2 1 1/2 lb lobsters cooked, meat plucked and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter, salted melted
- 1 0.75 oz clamshell chives, chopped
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1/2 bag whole grain Tostito Scoop tortilla chips
- 1 avocado, very thinly sliced slices, halved
- 2 oz pea shoots, chopped (half a 4 oz clamshell)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a large bowl, combine lobster meat, melted butter, chives, lemon juice and zest. Toss to combine.
- Add half of an avocado slice into each tortilla scoop. Spoon lobster mixture into tortilla scoops. Top with pea shoots and black pepper.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
PIN for later: