I created this recipe for Drew’s, maker of all-natural salad dressings and marinades, as part of an ongoing partnership with them. I was compensated for the recipe creation, but not for this post and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible!
Mini Mediterranean Pizzas with Balsamic Drizzle. Fresh, simple and ready in 15 minutes.
We love pizza in our house – especially on Friday nights. Adrian usually makes the dough from scratch (I rarely have the patience and he can get the dough just right) or we’ll buy a supermarket ready made dough. But, when time is short, tummies are rumbling or it’s a pizza-for-lunch kinda day, sometimes both of those dough options seem too time consuming and complicated. That’s when we reach for ready made naan bread (a traditionally clay oven-baked flatbread native to West, Central and Southern Asia) as the base of our pizza. For these pizzas, we used garlic naan from Trader Joe’s. They also have a whole wheat version that’s really good and we keep both in our freezer for quick and easy meals. We’ve even made breakfast pizzas on them. Stonefire also has a great mini naan version that’s the perfect snack or kid size.
We topped this naan bread with peppery arugula, grape tomatoes, fresh whole milk marinated mozzarella (which we’re currently loving), slivered basil and chopped crunchy walnuts – one of our favorite combinations. Then drizzled the whole thing with Drew’s Organic Aged Balsamic Dressing & Quick Marinade . It’s like a caprese salad a top a pizza. Light, fresh and flavorful. And ready in less than 15 minutes. Perfect for lunch, as an appetizer to share or for a light dinner.
Of course, this pizza would be that much more tasty if the tomatoes and basil were fresh from our garden. Soon enough. My mother-in-law has already started her famous tomato seedlings and those little babies should be making the trek from CT to Cape Cod sometime in May. Can’t wait. We haven’t started anything in the garden yet, except garlic that we planted in the fall, so we can’t wait to get our garden beds started this weekend. It’s finally warm enough here on the Cape.
Here’s how to make these Mini Mediterranean Pizzas with Balsamic Drizzle:
- • 4 mini naan bread (plain, garlic or whole wheat)
- • 2 cups arugula
- • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- • 4 oz marinated mini mozzarella balls, halved
- • ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- • 8 basil leaves, slivered
- • ¼ cup Drew’s Organic Aged Balsamic Dressing & Quick Marinade plus additional for dipping
- Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees.
- Place naan bread in oven for 5 minutes, until lightly toasted and firm.
- Remove from oven.
- Top each naan bread equally with arugula, tomato halves and mozzarella halves.
- Place in oven for additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top pizzas with chopped walnuts and slivered basil leaves.
- Drizzle with dressing and slice.
- Serve with additional dressing on the side for dipping.
Disclosure: I serve on the health professional board for the California Walnut Board and Commission, however all opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this post.