I received free pistachio samples from the Pistachio Health Institute mentioned in this post. By posting this pairing I am entering a contest sponsored by Pistachio Health Institute and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
In-shell pistachios. They make me think of and dream of summer. Summer on the beach on the Cape or the Islands, where we crack open a handful then bury the evidence in the sand or throw the shells into the dunes. We always carry a zip lock full of these smiley skinny nuts beach side usually accompanied by something sweet – watermelon slices, strawberries or dried cherries (all natural pairings). Dreaming of those sand filled days as we sit under yet another foot of snow. Sigh. But pistachios are not just for the summer time, even though that IS my favorite time to eat them. Pistachios are for cracking all year long.
This month’s sponsored Recipe ReDux contest is all about in-shell Pistachio Pairings. What food(s) and beverage(s) go well with pistachios. In-shell pistachios+Food A+Food B+Drink C = greatness. I knew I had to combine flavors and textures for a salty, crunchy, sweet, bitter, sour, savory and creamy luxurious treat.
This indulgent pairing combines crunchy and salty in-shell pistachios, bittersweet dark chocolate, sweet and sour orange slices, savory 3 cheese fondue (recipe below… must make) and sourdough pretzels. Heaven. But wait. Paired with Cava, Spanish sparkling wine. More than heaven! We have fallen in love with Cava ever since our trip to Barcelona in September where we visited the Cava caves. Take me back. This fondue is made with 3/4 cup Cava. The rest is for you to drink and share. This pairing is perfect for Valentine’s Day – just cut back the portions – or for a cocktail party indulgent platter.
- On a platter or nice cutting board, add 1 cup in-shell pistachios, 1 sliced orange, 4oz chopped dark chocolate, plenty of sourdough pretzels (we love Snyder’s) and the three cheese fondue (recipe below). Serve with glasses of Cava sparkling wine. Indulge and love every second of it.
DYKs about Pistachios:
- Pistachios are a deliciously simple way to snack healthy. A one-ounce serving of pistachios equals approximately 49 nuts, which is more nuts per serving than any other snack nut, and a reduced serving of about 30 pistachios is just about 100 calories. In-shell pistachios are a great protein and fiber packed snack.
- Empty pistachio shells may serve as a “visual cue” of how many pistachios you’ve consumed, so don’t discard the shells after you’ve enjoyed the treat inside. Those visual cues may help encourage reduced calorie consumption. Note to us: no more tossing pistachio shells into the dunes, keep them in plain sight!
- Learn more about the health benefits and fun facts on pistachios here: www.PistachioHealthInstitute.org.
Recipe for Three Cheese Fondue
*Recipe note: I haven’t had fondue in years – actually probably a decade or more. This was SO easy to prepare and SO delicious for a special occasion indulgence. We will definitely make this again.
Time: 20 minutes
- 4 oz fontina cheese, shredded
- 4 oz swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 oz Parmigiano Reggiano, shredded
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup Cava (Spanish sparkling wine)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Sourdough pretzels
Toss shredded cheese in cornstarch to coat – this helps prevent the cheese from clumping. In a saucepan, heat Cava to a simmer over low heat. Add lemon juice, garlic powder and salt. Add cheese slowly, stirring in a zig zag pattern (so cheese doesn’t ball up) until fully melted. Don’t over stir and don’t boil. Transfer to fondue pot set over a low flame. Serve with sourdough pretzels.
Find more great in-shell pistachio pairings here: