Roasted Salmon with Herbs and Pomegranate.
Salmon roasted to perfection, then topped with a fresh chopped herbs in extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with pomegranate arils. This is a beautiful and festive addition to your holiday table.
Fresh seafood usually needs little more than salt, pepper, garlic and lemon to make it shine. The simpler, the better.
You’ll roast the salmon pretty much naked except for garlic salt and black pepper. While it’s in the oven, you’ll chop up some fresh herbs, mix them with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. When the salmon comes out of the oven (after about 10 minutes), spread the herb mixture atop the fish and sprinkle with pomegranate arils.
I opted, for ease and time sake, to purchase the pomegranate arils pre-plucked from the fruit (find those in 4 or 8 ounce cups in your produce section of your local grocer, sold by POM Wonderful). That saved me at least 10 minutes (and my sanity), which is a lot around here, these days. If you have a whole pomegranate, go ahead and do the work yourself.
How pretty would this look on your Christmas table?! Serve with some roasted Brussels sprouts or sauteed kale, along with some crusty bread (we served it with an amazing olive bread from our local French bakery), and you have yourself a stunning, healthy, festive feast. Oh, and that extra fresh herb sauce goes amazingly well on fresh bread.
Nutrition highlights: this dish is packed with protein and omega-3 fatty acids from the salmon, as well as antioxidants, Vitamin C and fiber from the pomegranate and the herbs.
Here’s the full recipe for this Roasted Salmon with Herbs and Pomegranate:
Roasted Salmon with Herbs and Pomegranate
For the fresh herbs in olive oil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 ounce cilantro, roughly chopped steams and leaves (small clamshell package)
- 1/2 ounce chives, thinly sliced (small clamshell package)
- 1 ounce parsley leaves, roughly chopped (about a handful)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Salmon
- 1 1/2 pound salmon filet
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil.
- Combine all ingredient for fresh herbs in olive oil in a small bowl. Stir well. Set aside.
- Place the salmon filet on the baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Bake the salmon for 8-10 minutes, or until salmon flakes easily with a fork and is cooked through (time will vary, but a good rule of thumb is to cook the fish 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness). I usually broil the salmon for the last 1-2 minutes so it gets a bit crispy on the outside. Remove from oven.
- Top salmon with fresh herbs and olive oil. Sprinkle salmon with pomegranate arils.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
PIN this recipe for later: