Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken Bowls. Chicken breast slow cooked simply with spicy salsa, then layered with brown rice, black beans, corn, (lots of) shredded cheddar, Greek yogurt, more salsa, cilantro and scallions. The perfect warming, fiber and protein filled, satisfying dinner for these frigid temps.
Disclosure: I created these Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken Bowls for Drew’s Organics, maker of organic dressings and salsas, as part of an ongoing partnership with them. I was compensated for the recipe creation, but not for this post and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make My Cape Cod Kitchen possible!
Happy New Year friends! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. Are you ready for 2018?
We were down in Connecticut visiting Adrian’s parents and my family the week before Christmas, then headed back up to the Cape on Christmas Eve to celebrate Christmas at home. Lucca is 2.5 years old now, so he is just beginning to understand Christmas and Santa. He loved seeing all the Christmas lights and learning about Santa’s sled and reindeer and was really interested in Santa coming down the chimney. Of course, he also was really excited about all the presents. It was really sweet to see Christmas through his little eyes this year.
We laid low the week between Christmas and New Year’s, because the kiddos had bad colds and Adrian and I both had the stomach bug, so we spent the week inside resting, sleeping and just hanging out. And we really didn’t cook much at all – no appetite and sleepless nights called for a menu of toast, bananas, applesaice, goldfish, pretzels and pedialyte.
Before the holidays, I created these Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken Bowls for Drew’s and I’ve been waiting to share them with you. We’ll be making them on the regular this winter – that slow cooked chicken is SO good. The best part about these bowls is that you can assemble them in minutes if you’ve precooked the chicken and rice. So, throw the chicken in the slowcooker and make the rice in the AM so they’re ready to layer quickly once dinnertime rolls around.
Ingredients in this recipe can easily be subbed/deleted/etc (i.e. sub quinoa for brown rice, add avocado, etc), so use what you have on hand. And, you can easily double the chicken/salsa recipe so you have leftover chicken for future days, which I highly recommend.
Here’s how to make these Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken Bowls:
- For the chicken:
- • 12 oz Drew’s Organic Thick & Chunky Hot Salsa (or use mild if you prefer)
- • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- For serving:
- • 4 cups cooked brown rice
- • 3 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- • 2 cups frozen corn, heated
- • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- • 8 oz Drew’s Organic Thick & Chunky Hot Salsa (or use mild if you prefer)
- • 4 oz plain Greek yogurt
- • ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- • 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- • (optional) 1 avocado, thinly sliced (for a nice pairing to the hot salsa)
- Place chicken in large slow cooker on high. Pour salsa overtop the chicken. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, as measured with a meat thermometer.
- Shred chicken in the slow cooker using 2 forks.
- When ready to serve, assemble bowls by adding brown rice to each bowl, then top with black beans, corn, chicken, cheese, salsa, yogurt, cilantro and scallions (and optional avocado).
PIN for later: