Warm Strawberries and Cream.
A simple, elegant and bright dessert to welcome spring. Warm strawberries and honey spooned overtop plain whole milk Greek yogurt and drizzled with melted white chocolate. Because sometimes simple really is best.
As I’m writing this, snow is falling. It’s cold. And raw. I have a pine scented candle burning. It still looks, feels and smells like winter. But … since we’re nearing the end of March … and, technically it is spring … we know this current weather situation can only last a bit longer. Right? We’ll put on our rose colored sun glasses and hope so!
At least we can start to eat like it’s springtime. For March, the Recipe ReDux ladies asked us to share a traditional family springtime celebration recipe. While I can’t pick favorite spring or Easter dessert, springtime always means lots of strawberries – for snacks, breakfast and in desserts. Sweet, bright, sunny and hopeful of the warm weather to come.
I knew the recipe had to be a dessert, because we love sweet “splurges” in our house. And because our kitchen time has dwindled drastically, any dessert made “from scratch” needs to be quickly pulled together within the limit of a two-year old’s timespan. And ideally, it doesn’t make use of the oven – because in #toddlertime, any time in the oven is MUCH too long. That’s one part about cooking Lucca really doesn’t like – he mixes the ingredients, stirs the batter, pours it into the cooking vessel … and then he has to wait to eat it. “Not fair,” says his two-year old mind.
Enter this Warm Strawberries and Cream dessert.
- Frozen organic strawberries? We always have them on hand for smoothies – and they work better than fresh in this recipe, melting down into a nice sauce.
- Plain whole milk Greek yogurt? We eat everyday.
- Honey? Yep.
- White chocolate? Always stocked in the baking shelf of our pantry.
And there ya have it. Ohhh and I topped these pretty little desserts with a fresh organic strawberry – we always have fresh berries year round on hand because Lucca loves them.But no need to add the garnish if you don’t have any fresh berries.
This protein and Vitamin C rich dessert is healthy enough to be an everyday dessert – or you could even eat it for breakfast (perhaps skip the white chocolate).
Here’s how to make this Warm Strawberries and Cream dessert:
Warm Strawberries and Cream
- 1 10 oz bag frozen organic strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 cups organic whole milk Greek yogurt plain (or use vanilla if you prefer more sweetness)
- 3 oz melting white chocolate (we used Ghiradelli) optional
- 4 organic strawberries optional
- Heat frozen strawberries, water and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often and mashing strawberries. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, spoon 1/2 cup yogurt into each of 4 serving bowls.
- Heat melting chocolates in the microwave according to package directions until smooth and melted. (I heated ours in three 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval until fully melted.)
- Spoon warm strawberries overtop yogurt then drizzle with warm white chocolate. Garnish with fresh strawberries.
- Serve immediately.
PIN for later: