Wild Blueberry Chia Breakfast Bowl.
Creamy, slightly sweet and slightly tart. This is my current go-to power-packed breakfast. The ingredients are heart smart and nutrient-rich – but more importantly, are satisfying and taste really good together. It’s a healthy breakfast that tastes indulgent, but really isn’t indulgent at all.
I’ve never been a big fan of oatmeal. I like oats in recipes (cookies, bars, muffins, meatloaf, granola, etc), but not alone. A bowl of hot oatmeal never satisfied me in the morning and I found myself shaky and hungry within an hour or so after eating it, even if I added protein-rich ingredients like milk and nuts.
Since Lucca came along, I’ve been trying to incorporate more oats into my diet since they are one of the foods that may help boost breast milk production. I started making this morning chia bowl that incorporates oats, but also has lots of ingredients I love. I have been having it pretty much every weekday since, varying the ingredients now and then. Because this month’s Recipe ReDux theme is: Break Out of Breakfast Boredom: show us the healthy way you wake up your breakfast – or wake up just for breakfast, this current favorite is perfect to share. It’s a really delicious and satisfying breakfast to look forward to in the morning.
This Wild Blueberry Chia Breakfast Bowl contains:
- Antioxidant rich wild blueberries
- Soluble fiber rich quick cooking oats
- Heart smart omega-3 (ALA) rich chia seeds
- Protein rich soymilk
- Probiotic (healthful bacteria) rich kefir or use yogurt
- Heart smart omega-3 (ALA) rich walnuts
- Optional: an indulgent splash of cream or coconut cream and honey
It’s so simple to make. Just add your frozen wild blueberries, oats and chia seeds. Pour in kefir (or spoon in yogurt) and soymilk (or whatever milk you prefer). Stir, cover and let sit overnight in the fridge. Then dig in. Or spoon into mason jars and take as breakfast to go.
If you’re looking for a healthy, satisfying and out of the ordinary breakfast – try this Wild Blueberry Chia Breakfast Bowl.
- • 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- • 1/4 cup regular cooking oats
- • 1 cup soymilk, unsweetened
- • ½ cup kefir, plain (or use yogurt)
- • 2 Tablespoons white chia seeds
- For topping:
- • Light cream or coconut cream
- • Walnuts, chopped
- • Honey
- Directions: combine wild blueberries, oats, soymilk, kefir and chia seeds in a bowl and mix until combined. Refridgerate overnight. When ready to serve, top with cream (optional), chopped walnuts and honey.
PIN for later:
Disclosure: I serve on the health professional board for the California Walnut Board and Commission, however all opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this post.
This post was originally published on Feb 21, 2016, but was updated with new images in 2018.
Don’t miss my Recipe ReDux friend’s favorite Break Out of Breakfast Boredom recipes here: