Simple Summer Corn Chowder
Fresh corn kernels, shallots, potatoes and vegetable broth come together in a savory and slightly sweet summer chowder.
Servings 6 people
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 2 large white potatoes diced
- 32 oz container organic vegetable broth
- 5 ears corn, kernels reserve kernels from 1 ear
- 1/2 bunch scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup basil thinly slivered
- 1 cup crunchy chickpeas (we used Saffron Road sea salt or falafel flavor)
heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add sliced shallots and sauté 5 minutes until fragrant and softened. Add potatoes and vegetable broth. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Add kernels from 4 cobs and simmer another 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender (and doing so carefully as the soup is HOT), blend soup until smooth. Add kernels from the reserved cob and simmer another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls and top soup with scallions, basil and chickpeas. Serve with a crusty baguette or whole grain roll.