Seared Tuna Tacos
Street-size flour tortillas topped with wasabi, thinly sliced red cabbage, seared soy ginger marinated tuna, seaweed salad and sliced scallions. These Asian-inspired tacos are a tuna and seaweed salad lovers dream.
For the tuna
- 1 1/2 lb tuna steaks, sushi grade yellow fin tuna
- 1/4 cup soy sauce reduced sodium
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste we buy this in a prepared tube - you can also grate a ginger root yourself
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 small flour tortillas street taco size, warmed
- 1/4 cup wasabi mayo we used Kikkoman brand, but Trader Joes has one too
- 1/4 medium red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup seaweed salad we love Atlantic Sea Farms
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- black sesame seeds
- pickled ginger
- 1 lime cut into wedges
For the tuna
Combine tuna, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, sriracha, fresh ginger paste and garlic powder in a resealable bag. Marinate tuna for 20-30 minutes.
Preheat grill to high heat. Clean and oil the grates.
Remove tuna from marinade. Discard marinade. Reduce grill heat to medium high. Place tuna on the grill and grill until desired doneness (we cooked ours for 2-3 minutes per side). Remove from grill. Slice tuna thinly against the grain.
To assemble the tacos
Add a smear of wasabi mayo to each flour tortilla, followed by red cabbage, tuna, seaweed salad and scallions. Sprinkle black sesame seeds overtop tacos.
Serve tacos with pickled ginger and lime wedges.