Cranberry Pumpkin Upside Down Cake.
Ruby red fresh cranberries are drizzled in honey then topped with a spiced pumpkin batter and baked into a stunningly festive cake. This dessert will be a showstopped at any fall or holiday celebration.
It’s cranberry season here on the Cape (yay!), which means those tart and gorgeous ruby red gems have been harvested from the local cranberry bogs and are now ready for blending, chopping, roasting, boiling and baking. And they’re ready to be drizzled in cranberry honey, covered with spiced pumpkin batter and baked in this Cranberry Pumpkin Upside Down Cake.
If you love the tartness of cranberries and the earthiness of pumpkin, you’ll love this pretty, festive dessert. Make it for Thanksgiving or “Friendsgiving” this year and serve with homemade whipped cream, vanilla Greek yogurt (as we did here) or vanilla ice cream.
This recipe makes 2 9-inch cakes and easily serves 16 (depending on the size of your slices). To keep the recipe simple and quick (that’s what we all need this holiday season, right?!), I used a boxed organic vanilla cake mix (Organics), but if you have a great homemade vanilla cake or pumpkin cake recipe, I’m sure it would work just as well.
This is not a “light” dessert (though it’s certainly not heavy), but does have some nutritional benefits, due to a couple powerhouse ingredients:
- 100% pumpkin puree provides immune-system and eye health supporting Vitamin A and digestive health supporting and hunger satisfying fiber
- Fresh cranberries are rich in health-promoting proanthocyanidins (these “PACs” help prevent bad bacteria from sticking in the urinary and digestive tract), rich in immune-system supporting Vitamin C and digestive health supporting and hunger satisfying fiber
Because the cranberries are very tart (that’s what makes them so good!) and just slightly sweet, they are drizzled with my new favorite honey – Cranberry Honey from Sid Wainer & Son.
Give this Cranberry Pumpkin Upside Down Cake a place on your harvest table this year. And let me know how you like it!
Note: this recipe makes 2 separate cakes – one for your family and one to share! It’s not intended to be a double layer cake.
- • 12+ oz bag cranberries (enough to fill the bottom of the 2 pans), picked over and washed
- • ¼ cup cranberry honey (or regular honey)
- • 1 box organic vanilla cake mix (mix only; not prepared)
- • 1 stick salted butter, melted
- • 2 eggs
- • 1 15oz can organic pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- • 2 tsp cinnamon
- • 2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease (with butter or cooking spray) the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans. Place the cranberries evenly on the bottom of each pan. Drizzle honey evenly over pans of cranberries. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, butter, eggs, pumpkin, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Beat with a handheld mixer on low until well combined. Pour batter equally between the two pans, overtop the cranberries. Bake for 27-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely. Once cool, run a knife along the outer edges of the cakes. To remove the cakes, place a large plate overtop the cake and flip it over. Tap the bottom of each pan lightly then remove pan. If a few cranberries stick to the pan, replace onto the cake with your fingers. Serve with vanilla Greek yogurt, homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. If not enjoying right away, store in the refrigerator.