Pan Fried Chickpeas with Fresh Herbs.
Chickpeas pan-fried until crispy then sprinkled with sea salt and fresh herbs, like cilantro, parsley and mint – or whatever herbs you have on hand. This is a fun and flavorful way to jazz up a plain (and boring!) can of chickpeas.
In the summer, we have tons of fresh basil, cilantro, parsley and oregano in our garden that we can’t use fast enough. In the fall (currently), our parsley, mint and cilantro in the garden are still doing amazingly well, but they’re barely getting used. In the spring and winter, since I continue to use fresh herbs in recipes, I buy them at the store, but rarely use more than a small handful out of the bunch. Maybe I’ll use them once more – then, I’ll forget about them and they end up in the compost. It happens over and over again.
A few weeks ago, I had leftover cilantro, parsley, mint and scallions sitting in the veggie drawer from recipe testing. I was in the mood for some crunchy chickpeas, but instead of baking them I pan fried them. Then I chopped up all those flavorful fresh herbs (after drying them very well) and tossed the chickpeas with them and a good pinch of sea salt. The result was a fresh, super easy and flavor-packed plant-powered side dish – or snack. It was good enough to share – with you!
If fresh herbs are always in your crisper drawer and you always have a few (or ten – that’s us!) cans of chickpeas in your pantry, give this dish a try.
Here’s how to make this simple chickpea recipe:
Pan Fried Chickpeas with Fresh Herbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 15.5 ounce can BPA-free chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves washed and dried well
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves washed and dried well
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves washed and dried well
- 2 scallions trimmed and thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat.
- When hot, add chickpeas and pan-fry, tossing often, for about 5 minutes until they begin to toast and get lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Toss immediately with sea salt and pepper. Place into serving bowl and toss with fresh herbs (dry the herbs well!). Serve.