Pumpkin Muffins with Spiced Cream Cheese.
Pumpkin muffins packed with lots of real pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and chock full of chopped walnuts.
This is a pumpkin muffin for pumpkin lovers and spice lovers, because there’s double the earthy pumpkin and double the spice in these earthy, sweet and delicious muffins.
Instead of the usual sugar or brown sugar in these Pumpkin Muffins with Spiced Cream Cheese, I used pure maple syrup, which makes the muffins a true autumn treat with just the right amount of sweetness. The spiced cream cheese is optional, but so creamy and good on top of the muffins.
This recipe is a spin off of my Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping, but with much more pumpkiny and spice goodness. If you like streusel on top of your muffins and less pumpkin flavor, check out that recipe.
These Pumpkin Muffins with Spiced Cream Cheese are a must-make for fall. I made them a few weekends ago when Lucca, Lexi and I went to CT to visit my mom. Lucca gobbled up at least 3 fresh out the oven before they made it to CT and kept asking for more “muppins.” My mom loved them too … but the biggest fan of all was my 9 month old niece, Finley. She had never had a pumpkin muffin before – or walnuts – and she loved them! She happily ate the whole thing, with no “yucky” face. Then she ate another the next day. This post and recipe is really dedicated to Finley, so her momma can whip up a batch for the little muffin lover.
These muffins freeze well, so you can easily freeze the muffins you won’t eat within a day or so.
Here’s how to make these Pumpkin Muffins with Spiced Cream Cheese:
- • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- • 1 cup white flour
- • ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- • 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- • 2 teaspoons baking soda
- • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- • 2 15oz cans pure pumpkin
- • 1 ¼ cup maple syrup
- • 4 large eggs
- • ½ cup soymilk
- • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- • 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Spiced Cream Cheese (optional)
- • 8 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- • 1 ½ Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- For the muffins: preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with muffin liners and spray with non-stick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, walnuts, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, maple syrup, eggs, soymilk, oil and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until combined. Add batter to muffin tins, filling ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly. Cool on wire racks.
- For the spiced cream cheese: stir together cream cheese, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar until well combined. Serve with muffins.
PIN these Pumpkin Muffins with Spiced Cream Cheese for later: