Warm Crab Dip.
Jumbo lump crab meat, shredded cheddar, cream cheese, cottage cheese, Old Bay seasoning and panko crumbs are baked in a cast-iron skillet until hot and bubbly, then served with your favorite whole grain crackers or pretzels. This warm crab dip is the perfect appetizer for game day … or, any day you’re entertaining and need a comforting, crowd-pleasing warm dip.
What makes the best game day appetizer?
- It’s gotta be hot (sure cold apps can be good, but nothing beats a warm dip).
- It’s gotta be cheesy. What is a great appetizer without cheese? Nothing.
- It’s gotta keep you coming back for more. Forget about the football, you’ve gotta man the dip!
- It’s gotta have a bit of a kick. This crab dip is spiced up with Old Bay for a match made in seafood heaven.
- There’s gotta be crunch. You’ll get crunch from the crackers and pretzels (and veggies, if you serve them), but there’s also panko crumbs on top that get nice and toasty in the oven, to give this creamy dip a great crunchy crust on the top. Because creamy dips are good, but creamy dips with crunchy tops are great.
- And, of course, for us, there’s an extra bonus if seafood is involved. This hot crab dip packs 1 pound of jumbo lump crab meat into it. That’s a lot of crab. That’s how we like it.
- Ohhh, I almost forgot. You know what else is great about this dip? It’s easy to make. You mix all the ingredients in one bowl, pour into your hot skillet and baked until melted and toasty. Easy peasy.
This hot crab dip has all of those things and more. It’s creamy, crunchy, savory and pure comfort food. A true crowd pleaser! If you love crab and you need a great appetizer for Game Day, this is it.
Here’s how to make this Warm Crab Dip recipe:
Warm Crab Dip
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 4 ounces whole milk cottage cheese
- 16 ounces canned lump crab meat we used Chicken of the Sea brand - find it in the seafood department
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided (we used Cabot)
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning plus more for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chives, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Crackers, baguette slices and veggies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with your cast-iron skillet inside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, cottage cheese, crab meat, ½ cup cheddar, Old Bay, garlic powder and black pepper. Gently mix with your hands to combine.
- Remove skillet from oven. Careful, skillet is hot! Spoon crab mixture into skillet. Place into oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining ¼ cup cheddar and 2 tablespoons panko crumbs. Place back into the oven for 5-10 more minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly and panko crumbs are lightly toasted. Remove from oven.
- Top dip with chives. Serve with lemon wedges and whole grain crackers, baguette slices or veggies.
We probably won’t be watching the Big Game … the Pats aren’t playing, so why bother?! But, we will be making all the game day appetizers, including this one. Let me know if you try it!
What’s on your Big Game menu?